5-Spice Pork Ribs With Smothered Onions, Spicy Craisin BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 7 ounces sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 2 lbs pork baby back ribs (about 2 whole racks)
- 2 medium onions, cut in half and then sliced 1/4in thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 5 ounces light brown sugar
- 6 ounces craisins
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 12 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan, place the Chinese 5-spice powder, sugar, salt and a generous amount of cold water.
- Mix together until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add the baby back pork ribs into the liquid, so that they are totally covered.
- Chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Line a roasting tray with enough kitchen foil to completely cover and seal the pork ribs.
- Evenly spread the sliced onions on the foil and place the butter on top.
- Remove the ribs from the liquid and season both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the ribs in one layer on top of the onions, and fold the foil over making sure to tightly seal the package.
- Roast undisturbed for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile heat the canola oil in a small saucepan.
- Add in the onion and garlic and fry gently, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add in the sugar, craisins, cranberry juice, vinegar and chipotle peppers.
- Simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Puree the sauce in a blender until very smooth, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove the ribs from the oven, unwrap and baste them with Spicy Craisin BBQ Sauce.
- Increase the oven to 400F.
- Bake the ribs uncovered for 10 minutes until the sauce is lightly browned.
- Divide the smothered onions onto four plates and serve with one half rack per person.