AMIES Strawberry Orange Chocolate Cake
- 500 grams fresh strawberries
- 180 grams sugar
- 160 grams dark chocolate
- 100 grams softened butter
- 40 grams flour
- 4 eggs, yolks separate from white
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 zest of 1 orange
- 2 juice from 2 oranges
- Heat oven to 180AsC (360AsF) .
- Grease and line a 20cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt together over a pan of simmering water (bagno maria).
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks and 80 grams sugar together until the mixture is pale and thickens.
- Gradually fold the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Sift the flour and a dash of salt together over the mixture and gently fold these in, too.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl untill stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the 100 grams strawberries and white eggs mixture over the egg yolks chocolate mixture.
- Give everything a good final mix and pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until risen.
- Leave to cool completely while you make the strawberry orange syrup.
- Heat the remaining sugar with 100 ml water in a small pan over low medium heat, swirling until the sugar has dissolved and thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour in the orange juice then add the zest, stirring well to combine.
- Add the remaining strawberries.
- Increase the heat and boil for a couple of minutes, until the liquid has reduced.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, turn the cake out of the pan, and peel away the baking paper.
- Arrange the strawberries on top (middle) of the cake, pouring all over the cake the prepared syrup.
- Serve immediately.