A Roste Beef Roast With Crisps Medieva Recipe
- 4 Tbsp. Or possibly more butter or possibly oil for searing meat
- 5 lb Beef roast tied with butcher's cord
- 1/2 c. Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry sweet basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Dry rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1 c. Dates, pits removed, cut in halves
- 1 c. Dry figs, stems removed, cut in strips
- 1/2 c. Dry apple rings, cut in halves
- 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar or possibly honey
- 11/2 c. Beef stock
- 1 c. Flour
- 1 x Egg
- 2/3 c. Lowfat milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp (scant) baking pwdr
- 1/4 c. Minced fresh parsley, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.In Dutch oven or possibly cast-iron pot (either having tight covers) heat the butter.
- Dredge the roast with the mix of flour, cinnamon, and salt, and thoroughly sear in the heated butter, browning all sides.
- Mix basil, rosemary, and thyme.
- Mix spices with combined dates, figs, and apples.
- Arrange spiced fruits around the meat.
- Sprinkle sugar or possibly drizzle honey on fruits.
- Carefully pour on beef stock around the edges of the pot so as to avoid 'flooding' any food surfaces.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 3 hrs, or possibly till tender.
- Remove from oven to cold for 30 min.
- Increase oven heat to 450 degrees F. Prepare a very thick batter by vigorously stirring all batter ingredients except parsley.
- Add in extra flour if necessary.
- Add in minced parsley to the batter.
- Pour batter over the roast allowing the excess to trickle down into the gravy.
- Return meat to warm oven (450 degrees F) for 5 - 10 min so which coating browns nicely.
- Cut the roast in its dough jacket.
- Serve the 'crisps' that formed in the juices, along with the gravy and fruit.