"Paella" Fried Rice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (3 to 4 ounces) Spanish chorizo (spicy dried pork sausage) links, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 1/3 cup hulled (green) pumpkinseeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook cumin and red pepper flakes, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add chorizo and saute over moderately high heat, stirring, until sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, crumbling it, and salt.
- Saute, stirring, until some grains begin to turn golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add peas and saute, stirring, just until peas are heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in pumpkinseeds and cilantro.