Aromatic Tiger Prawns
- 16 raw tiger prawns (jumbo shrimp)
- 12 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 star anise, broken into pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 34 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- lime slice
- green onion, chopped
- Peel the prawns, but leave tails intact.
- Cut along the back and remove the dark vein.
- Thread the prawns in pairs on 8 small skewers.
- Heat a heavy frying pan, add the chili powder, fennel seeds, peppercorns, start anise and cinnamon sticks and dry-fry for 1-2 minutes to release the flavours.
- Leave to cool, then grind coarsely in a grinder or tip into a mortar and crush with pestle.
- Heat the peanut oil in a shallow pan, add the garlic, ginger and chopped shallot and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until very lightly colored.
- Add crushed spices, season with salt and pepper and the cook the mixture gently for 5 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar and brown sugar, stir until dissolved, and then add the prawns.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until they turn pink, but are still juicy.
- Serve hot and garnish with lime wedges and green onion.