Adzuki/Aduki Red Bean Cupcakes
- 1 cup cooked adzuki beans (about 1/2 cup dry)
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 14 teaspoon salt
- milk, as needed (or soymilk, almond milk, etc)
- Put the adzuki beans in a food processor fitted with a sharp blade, and do a rough chop a few times.
- Add the sugar, oil, and egg whites and pulse until they are blended together with no sugar clumps or bean pieces sticking out.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together in a bowl, then pour this mixture into the food processor, and mix until a complete batter is formed.
- Add enough milk (dairy or otherwise) to the mixture to loosen it up enough to be pourable.
- Pour the batter into lined Texas muffin or regular muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool for at least 45 minutes, or no longer warm, before adding frosting.
- I'd recommend my Matcha Green Tea Frosting, a good vanilla buttercream, or better yet an adzuki frosting!