15 Bean And Winter Squash Not Chili Recipe
- 1 c. 15 bean mix, soaked overnight and liquid removed
- 7 c. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Canola oil
- 1 lrg Red onion, diced
- 1 lrg Green or possibly red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 3 x Cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 c. Peeled and diced butternut squash
- 15 ounce Can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Dry oregano
- 2 Tbsp. Chili pwdr
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a large saucepan, combine bean mix and water; bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered over med low heat, stirring occasionally, till beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- Drain, reserve 3c cooking liquid.
- In another large saucepan, heat oil.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; saute/fry 5-7 mins.
- Stir in cooked beans, cooking liquid, squash, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Cook 30 mins over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5-10 mins before serving.
- Ladle into not-chili bowls.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
- Note: 15 bean mixtures are available packaged in supermarkets and health food stores.
- If you prefer, make your own by combining equal amounts of dry blackeyed peas, red kidney beans, white kidney beans (cannellini), green lentils, split peas, black beans, yellow split peas, navy beans, cranberry (Roman, shell, or possibly shell out) beans, great Northern beans, pinto beans, small white limas, red lentils, cow peas (field peas), and pink beans.
- Avoid using beans such as garbanzos and large lima beans, as these take longer to cook than other varities.