Apple and Pear Crisp
- 2 lbs ripe bosc pears (4 pears)
- 2 lbs firm macoun apples (6 apples)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 cup granulated sugar
- 14 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 34 cup granulated sugar
- 34 cup light brown sugar
- 12 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 12 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Peel, core, and cut the pears and apples into large chunks.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and add the zests, juices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour into a 9x12x2-inch oval baking dish.
- For Topping:.
- Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- ** (see below).
- Mix on low speed for 1 minute until the mixture is in large crumbles.
- Sprinkle evenly over the fruit, covering the fruit completely.
- Place the baking dish on a sheet pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve warm.
- ** I used my hands to mix the topping, that way the butter melted and the topping just held together better.