Almond Cookies #1
- 1/2 cup lard room temp - do not substitute
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 23 cup sugar granulated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light packed, sifted thru coarse serive
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 32 each apricots pits, (traditional) or substitute 32 whole blanched almonds
- 1) In medium size bowl, cream together lard, vegetable shortening, and sugars until very light and creamy.
- Beat in one of the eggs and the almond extract.
- 2) Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 3) Beating at low speed if using mixer, add the four mixture to the creamed mixture, abt.
- 13 at a time.
- Press dough together with your hands to form 2 balls, which will be very crumbly.
- 4) Place each ball on wax paper and roll into cylinder abt.
- 8" long.
- Chill several hrs.
- or better yet: overnight.
- 5) Preheat oven to 275 F. Beat remaining egg with the 2 tb.
- 6) With sharp, serrated knife cut each cylinder into 16 equal slices.
- Place on lge.
- ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush cookies with egg wash and press an almond into center of each.
- 7) Bake cookies in center of over for 25 min., then raise heat to 325F (160C).
- and bake 10 to 15 min.
- more, or until golden brown.
- 8) Transfer cookies to rack and let cool completely.
- Store airtight for several weeks.
- You can obtain traditional apricot pits at any health food store.