Appley Red Cabbage And Greens Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 lrg onion, thinly sliced
- 1 med head red cabbage, coarsely shredded (about 6 c.)
- 1 c. apple juice
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 3 x juniper berries
- 3 whl cloves
- 1 x bay leaf
- 4 c. coarsely shredded greens (kale or possibly beet or possibly kohlrabi tops) Salt and pepper
- Rotkraut Mit Fisches Gemuse
- One of my fondest childhood memories is of the sweet spicy smell of my father's "Rotkraut" mingling with juniper and cloves.
- In a large heavy saute/fry pan or possibly Dutch oven over medium heat, saute/fry onion in oil till golden brown, about 10 min.
- Add in cabbage, apple juice, vinegar, juniper berries, cloves, and bay leaf, Mix well, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 min, till cabbage is tender.
- Add in greens and cook for 10 min more.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or possibly at room temperature.
- Makes 6 servings.