Al's Reduced Sugar Vasilopita
- 175 g butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour, Self raising
- vanilla essence
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon
- 13 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 12 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 23 cup orange juice
- 12 cup cognac
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 clean washed coin wrapped tightly in aluminum foil
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, topping
- Instructions: ( i guess just use your usual method of baking a cake, i couldnt really read the instructions in greek so i didnt bother to follow the steps).
- Just note that if you have a mixer - good for you, i did mine by hand, woe is me.
- And when i say 'cup' in measurement, i mean a regular coffee mug not dainty teacup.
- Mix the sugar and butter till combined well, or sugar is melted.
- add egg yolks, mix.
- add sifted flour mixed with the baking powder and baking soda into mixture.
- add milk, mix.
- add orange juice, mix.
- add cinnamon, vanilla, clove, salt, mix well.
- fold in beaten stiff egg whites, cognac, orange zest, just just enough to combine.
- add walnuts, mix.
- line pan with baking paper - i didnt have to grease mine, but whatever floats your boat.
- pour half the mixture in pan, drop the foil wrapped coin somewhere off-center and cover with remaining mixture.
- bake in center of preheated oven - 175C for about 1 hour ( if it is browning too soon, move the tray to lower position).
- Remove from pan to cool on rack.
- Dust with icing sugar or glaze or ice as preferred.