- 2 cups canned unsalted chicken broth, defatted
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, well trimmed
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno chili with seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Baked (no oil) tortilla chips
- Boil broth and pickling spice in heavy large saucepan 10 minutes.
- Strain and return liquid to saucepan.
- Add chicken, onion, vinegar, garlic, oil and cumin to pan.
- Simmer over very low heat until chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and onions to shallow dish.
- Top with bell peppers and minced chili.
- Boil cooking liquid until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Pour liquid over chicken and let cool 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro to chicken mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, turning chicken occasionally, about 4 hours.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- Slice chicken and transfer to plates.
- Top with marinated vegetables and some of the juices.
- Pass tortilla chips to use as 'pushers'.