Amigthalota (Almond Pears) Recipe
- 3 c. Grnd almonds
- 1/2 c. Icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 c. Egg whites (1/4 c = 2 whites
- 1/2 tsp Grated lemon rind, optional
- 2 dsh Almond essence Whole cloves Additional icing sugar Rose or possibly orange flower water (optional)
- Makes: 30
- Cooking Time: 20 min
- Oven temperature: 160 C (325 F)
- Blend grnd almonds with icing sugar measured after sifting.
- Add in lightly beaten egg whites with lemon rind if used and almond essence.
- Mix to a hard dough with hands.
- Clean hands and rub with a little butter to prevent dough sticking while shaping.
- Break off small pcs of dough the size of a walnut and form into pear shapes.
- Insert a whole clove in the top of each to resemble a stem and place upright on a buttered and floured baking sheet.
- Bake in a moderately slow oven for 20 min, covering with brown paper if tops begin to brown.
- Sift 2 c. icing sugar into a bowl and dip warm Amigthalota into it.
- If you like, a little rose or possibly orange flower water may be brushed onto Amigthalota before dipping into icing sugar.
- Place on a wire rack to cold.
- Sift remaining sugar from bowl into base of a container and arrange cooled Almond Pears upright in a single layer.
- Sift more sugar thickly over tops and sides, seal and store for a day or possibly two before using.