Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 cups store-bought smoky Kansas Citystyle barbecue sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apple and cook until the moisture has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bourbon and cook until nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Use or refrigerate for up to 1 month.