- 3 lbs tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 teaspoon nutmeg
- 13 cup flour
- 13 cup sugar
- 13 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 12 cup chopped walnuts
- Peel, core and chop the apples; toss in a bowl with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the apples and toss to combine.
- In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats.
- Cut butter into 8 small pieces, and cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Butter a 9" square baking dish.
- Spread apple mixture in bottom of baking dish then sprinkle with the flour mixture.
- Bake at 375* for 30 to 45 minute or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or a little heavy cream if desired.