Arayahs Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 4 medium-size yellow or white onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 to 5 pounds tomatoes, preferably summer ripe, coarsely chopped, with juices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 large bay leaf
- Handful of chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley, oregano, and basil
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker over medium heat until beginning to smoke.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the tomato juices, lock on the lid, and bring to pressure over high heat, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
- With the steam vent pointed away from your face, gently release any remaining pressure.
- When cool enough to handle, push the sauce through a china cap sieve or puree it in a food processor or through a food mill.
- Reheat and use right away.
- Or cool and store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.