Apple Sauce Empanadas
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse to mix.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the cream cheese and pulse until the dough comes together in large clumps.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently knead two or three times, just enough to incorporate the cream cheese.
- Form the dough into an oval disk, place in a plastic bag and chill, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the dough into a rectangle, about 15-by-10-inches.
- Cut the dough with a sharp knife into 6 squares, about 5-inches each.
- Beat 1 teaspoon water and the egg in a small bowl, to make an egg wash.
- Fill each dough square with about 2 teaspoons applesauce.
- Use your fingertips to moisten the dough edges with a little water.
- Fold the dough over to create a triangle.
- Use your fingers to press the dough gently together, then crimp the seal with a fork.
- Brush the tops of the triangles with the egg wash. Sprinkle the egg washed-tops with the cinnamon sugar.
- Place the triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake until the triangles are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Be careful, the filling will be hot, so cool the empanadas about 15 minutes before eating.