Apple Almond Charlotte Recipe
- 875 gm Red skinned dessert apples, cored and sliced (1 3/4lb)
- 150 gm Granulated sugar, (5z)
- 2 tsp Grated lemon rind
- 40 gm Butter, (1 1/2oz)
- 1/2 x Stale French stick, cut into 5mm ( 1/4 inch) thin slices
- 150 gm Sultanas, soaked in 3 Tbsp. (5z) Calvados or possibly brandy
- 1 x 100 gram pac whole almonds skin on, roughly minced
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 350 F, Gas Mark 4.
- Place the apples in a pan with 100g (3 1/2oz) of the granulated sugar, the lemon rind and sufficient water to just cover.
- Cook over a low to moderate heat till the apples are starting to fall apart.
- Allow to cold.
- Blend the butter with the remaining sugar and use togrease thoroughly the sides and base of a 20cm (8 inch) souffle dish, reserving a little of the mix.
- Line the base and sides of the dish completely with most of the bread slices, reserving sufficient to cover the top of the pudding.
- Fill the centre with layers of apple, sultanas and minced almonds, continue this process till all the ingredients are used.
- Spread the reserved bread slices with the remaining butter and sugar mix and arrange over the apple mix to cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- To remove from the souffle dish run a palette knife around the edge and carefully invert the Charlotte onto a plate.
- Notes This dessert may be flambed with 3-4 Tbsp.
- of Calvados if you like.Alternatively serve hot with Greek natural yogurt or possibly thick double cream.
- NOTES : A delicious alternative to traditional apple pie, that makes use of stale bread.An impressive finished dish.