Apple Pie With Cheddar Cheese
- 2 pie crusts
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 13 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into two portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one-half of the crust to a 12-inch circle and transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, pressing gently to fit.
- Roll out the second half of the crust to a circle and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and toss to coat the apples.
- Add the cheese and spoon the apple mixture into the prepared pie pan.
- Arrange the second crust over the fruit.
- Trim the edges to a 3/4-inch overhang, fold under the two crusts, and crimp the edges of the crusts together to seal the dough.
- With a sharp knife, cut a decorative pattern of slits into the top crust.
- With a pastry brush, brush the cream over the top crust and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the top.
- Bake until the crust is golden and the juices begin to bubble, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Serve warm.
- Makes one 9-inch pie.