Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (approximately 11 extra-large eggs)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Set the egg whites out about one hour ahead.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour with the half-cup of sugar and the allspice.
- Sift four times.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and lemon juice together, with an electric mixer on high speed, until they hold a soft peak.
- Begin adding the remaining one cup of sugar, a quarter cup at a time, until all the sugar is blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture until it is completely incorporated.
- Give it a few extra folds just to be sure all the flour is really mixed in, but be careful not to overmix.
- Gently scoop the batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan.
- Smooth the batter with the rubber scraper.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the top is dark golden brown.
- When baked, remove the cake from the oven and invert it, with the pan at least an inch above the counter.
- If your pan doesn't have metal feet, set the pan onto four inverted teaspoons or bowls.
- Remove the cake after it has completely cooled by slipping a fork down the side between the cake and the pan in several places.
- Once the cake is loosened, gently pull it out of the pan.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with ice cream and fresh berries.