Acorn Squash Wonder Tacos/Chalupas
- 1 cup canola oil, or as needed
- 1 large acorn squash - peeled, seeded, and grated
- 2 tablespoons grated red onion
- 1 serrano chile pepper, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, or to taste
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated cotija cheese
- Heat canola oil in a deep fryer or heavy pot over medium heat.
- Mix squash, onion, serrano pepper, flour, egg, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Drop squash mixture by the spoonful, working in batches, in the hot oil; fry until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer squash fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Fry the corn tortillas in the hot oil until crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Layer each tortilla with lettuce, squash fritters, avocado, tomato, and a tablespoon of cotija cheese.