Althea's Blackberry Sauce
- 250 g blackberries
- 30 g soft light brown sugar
- 1 12 teaspoons arrowroot
- 5 tablespoons red wine or 5 tablespoons port wine or 5 tablespoons other fortified wine
- 1 cinnamon stick, 5 - 8 cm long
- 2 cloves
- black pepper (optional)
- Bring blackberries and sugar to boiling point with 100 ml water.
- Have ready the arrowroot mixed to a smooth cream with a further 2 - 3 tablespoons of water, and stir it into the pan.
- The moment everything is well mixed, put in the wine and spices.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Taste, add more sugar if necessary, and remove the cinnamon stick and cloves.
- If you do want to serve this quick and easy sauce with meat, use 2 teaspoons of arrowroot and pour in the meat juices from the roasting pan, after removing the fat.
- Taste and see if extra sugar is needed, but do not oversweeten the sauce.
- Grind in plenty of black pepper.