Amatriciana Pasta Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces unsmoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 12 teaspoon chili flakes
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 14 cup red wine
- 12 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces rigatoni pasta or 6 ounces penne
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the bacon.
- Fry for about 5 minutes to allow the fat to run before adding the onions and chili flakes.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring all the time to prevent anything catching, until the onion is softened and the bacon browned.
- Add tinned tomatoes, wine and oregano and bring to the boil.
- Turn sauce down to a very gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring large pan of water to boil.
- While the sauce is simmering put the pasta in the boiling water.
- Cook until just tender, drain and return to the saucepan.
- Pour over the sauce and stir in the butter.
- Serve the pasta with some freshly ground black pepper and the parmesan.