Applesauce Pumpkin Pie
- Pastry for one 10-inch one-crust pie
- 1 1/2 cups canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 13 cup unsweetened applesauce, preferably from Granny Smith apples
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed, dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a 9-inch pie shell with the pastry, making a high, fluted edge.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, applesauce and eggs.
- In another bowl, mix the sugars, cinnamon, ginger, clove and salt, and stir into the pumpkin mixture.
- Stir in the evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the pastry-lined pie pan, place in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer, until the filling seems set.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with whipped cream.