Apple Walnut Upside Down Cake With Calvados Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb Golden brown Delicious apples - (abt 3 to 3 1/2)
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter - (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. coarsely-minced walnuts
- 1/2 x Golden brown Delicious apple
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter - (1 stick) softened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. chopped peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 lrg Large eggs
- 1/2 c. lowfat sour cream Calvados Caramel Sauce (see recipe) Whipped cream
- Make topping: Peel, core, and quarter apples.
- In a well-seasoned 10 1/4- by 2-inch cast-iron skillet heat butter over moderately-low heat just till melted (butter shouldn't separate).
- Stir in sugar till combined well.
- Arrange apple quarters decoratively, cut-sides up, in skillet and sprinkle walnuts proportionately between apples.
- Cook mix, undisturbed, 25 to 35 min, or possibly till the apples are tender in centers and sugar is a golden brown caramel.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make cake batter while topping is cooking: Peel apple and chop fine.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking pwdr, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl with an electric mix beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and gingerroot and add in Large eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lowfat sour cream and with mixer on low speed beat in flour mix gradually till just combined.
- Fold minced apple into batter.
- Remove skillet from heat and spoon batter proportionately over topping.
- With a metal spatula spread batter (being careful not to disturb topping), leaving a 1/4-inch border of cooked apples uncovered.
- If using a non-stick stick skillet with a plastic handle, wrap handle in a double thickness of foil.
- Put skillet in a shallow baking pan and bake cake in middle of oven 25 to 35 min, or possibly till a tester comes out with crumbs adhering and cake is golden.
- Cold cake in skillet on a rack 10 min.
- Run a thin knife around edge of skillet and carefully invert cake onto a plate.
- Serve cake hot or possibly at room temperature with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
- Yield: 1 cake