Apple Crisp With Dried Cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 34 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 teaspoon ground allspice
- 18 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 34 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 12 cup granulated sugar
- 12 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 34 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 8 golden delicious apples, about 2 1/2 lbs total weight
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F Butter a 9x12-inch oval baking dish.
- Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- FOR THE TOPPING: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt.
- Add the toasted pecans, rolled oats, granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter.
- Using your fingertips, rub the mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside.
- FOR THE FILLING: Peel, Halve and core the apples, then cut lengthwise into slices 1/2-inch thick.
- Place in a bowl, immediately.
- Add the lemon juice and dried cranberries and toss to coat with juice.
- Pour the filling into prepared dish leveling the surface.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit, pressing down on it lightly and leaving about 1/4-inch space between the topping and the pan sides.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown and bubbling 40-45 minutes, covering the top with aluminum foil if the crust begins to over brown.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes before serving.