A Healthy Chicken Tamale Casserole
- 1 box (about 7 Oz. Box) Whole Wheat Cornbread Mix
- 1 whole Egg
- 13 cups Skim Milk
- 1 can (15 Oz. Can) Corn
- 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 ounces, weight Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 18 teaspoons Ground Red Pepper
- 1 can (10 Oz. Can) Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken (or A 15-oz. Can Of Black Beans If You Want To Make It Vegetarian)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 cups Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Crush tomatoes and combine with cornbread mix, egg, milk, corn, chilies, cumin, and red pepper.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 in pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until very well done (but not burnt).
- While still hot, pierce the top liberally with a fork and pour on enchilada sauce.
- Top with chicken and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Freezes well.
- You can make this vegetarian by adding black beans into the cornbread mixture and leaving out the chicken.
- Make sure to bake it until its brown, otherwise the casserole will be soggy.