A Cake of Potato and Goat Cheese
- cooked potato 14 ounces (400g)
- goat cheese 5 ounces (150g)
- herbs (thyme, tarragon, parsley) 4 tablespoons, chopped
- all-purpose flour a tablespoon
- cornmeal (polenta) 6 tablespoons
- olive or peanut oil
- Mash the potatoes with a masher or a fork until they are a mixture of sizes from gravel to pebbles.
- Cut the goat cheese up into small pieces and fold it into the mash with the chopped herbs.
- Season generously with salt and black pepper, then stir in the flour.
- Divide the mixture into fourths and pat each one into a rugged patty roughly 2 1/2 inches (6cm) in diameter.
- Empty the cornmeal onto a plate, then turn the patties in it.
- Get a thin layer of oil hot in a shallow, nonstick pan.
- Lower the patties into the oil and, without moving them, cook for about four minutes, until golden and lightly crisp underneath.
- Turn them quickly and carefully with a spatula and cook the other side.
- Drain briefly on paper towels before serving.