- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 cup raisins
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Stir vinegar and sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Boil without stirring until syrupy and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until apples are tender, liquid is absorbed, and mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- (Can be prepared up to 2 weeks ahead.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate in airtight container.)