Anzac Biscuits (Cookies) Recipe
- 3/4 c. Fine sugar
- 1 tsp Treacle (golden brown corn syrup)
- 1/4 lb Butter
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 c. Coconut, flaked
- 1 c. Oatmeal
- 3/4 c. Plain flour
- 2 Tbsp. Boiling water
- ANZAC day is celebrated in Australia on April 25.
- On this day in 1915, the ANZACs (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) landed at Gallipoli, and suffered the worst defeat in Australian military history.
- The fallen soldiers of all wars are now commemorated on ANZAC day.
- Another cookbook stated which these cookies were sold to raise money to help returned veterans.
- In saucepan place butter, treacle, soda, sugar and mix with boiling water.
- Bring slowly to boil, remove and add in dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Place spoonfuls about 3 inches apart on well greased cookie tray.
- Bake at 275F about 25 minutes.
- converted from his mother's handwritten cookbook to US measures.