Artichokes and Preserved Lemons With Honey and Spices
- 2 lemons
- 2* pounds small artichokes (2 1/2 to 3 ounces each) or 1 pound frozen artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 18 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Peel from 1 to 1 1/2 preserved lemons, cut into 1/4 -inch strips (available at Middle Eastern and specialty food stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- If using fresh artichokes, squeeze 1 lemon into a large bowl of water, and drop the rinds into the water.
- Using a serrated knife, cut off the top third of an artichoke.
- Pull back and snap off the leafy blades, one by one and in layers, until only the pale yellow leaves remain.
- Using a paring knife, trim the artichoke bottom and stem to the pale green flesh.
- Cut the artichokes in half lengthwise.
- (If using frozen, they may already be halved or quartered and have the chokes removed.)
- With a teaspoon, scoop out the choke, deep in the flower between the leaves and the base of the stem.
- Be careful not to scoop out the firm heart.
- Drop trimmed artichokes into lemon water until ready for use.
- Repeat with each artichoke.
- Heat the oil in a large nonreactive saucepan (at least 12 inches wide) over medium heat.
- Drop in the garlic and cook for a few seconds only, stirring.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the ginger, turmeric, the juice from the remaining lemon, honey and the preserved lemon.
- Transfer the artichokes from the water bath to the pan.
- Add 1 cup plus 2tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan.
- Cover, return to the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the artichokes are tender, turning them from time to time, and adding a little water as necessary.
- Remove the lid and simmer until the mixture is very moist but most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 more minutes.