Arroz Con Frijoles a L'espanola
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 14 cup dry white wine
- 13 cup tomato sauce or 6 ounces canned tomato sauce
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brown rice
- 14 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips (from a jar or roast your own)
- 20 green olives (stuffed with pimientos)
- 1 teaspoon capers
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat chicken broth and saffron to a boil; reduce heat to low to.
- keep warm (this step optimizes the release of the lovely color of the saffron).
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat; add the onions, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic and cook until the onion begins to soften (okay if they brown a little on the edges), stirring.
- occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir.
- Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, with saffron, tomato sauce then season with salt and.
- pepper (bearing in mind that olives and capers will be added later); cover,.
- reduce heat, and let cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes (there should.
- still be a little liquid, if not you can add a little water or broth).
- Stir in peas and carrots and chopped tomato; cook 5 minutes, covered.
- Garnish with red pepper strips, olives, capers, and fresh parsley.