Applesauce-Oatmeal Raisin Cake
- 1 1/2 cups water test
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 13 by 9-inch baking pan
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over moderately high heat.
- Stir in the oats.
- When the liquid returns to a boil, stir in the raisins and salt.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oats are soft and the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, applesauce, and oil.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease the pan.
- Put the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl.
- Stir to mix well.
- Stir the eggs into the oat mixture.
- Add the flour mixture, and stir just until moistened.
- Spread in the prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until the cake starts to shrink from the sides of the pan and a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- The cake is good served warm.
- Or cool completely, cover tightly, and store overnight at room temperature before serving or freezing.