Aria's Mac n' Cheese
- Kosher salt
- 2 bags eggs noodles
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (with seeds)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bacon slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the egg noodles according to package directions until al dente, cooked, but with a little bite to them.
- Drain well, and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion and jalapenos.
- Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and half-and-half and whisk until the mixture thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and goat cheese and whisk until all the cheese is melted.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cooked noodles.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or 2 smaller baking dishes and set aside.
- On a baking sheet, blend together the panko, melted butter and salt and spread the mixture out into an even layer on the pan.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Watch it so it doesnt burn.
- On another baking sheet, lay out the strips of bacon and bake them for 15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Bake the mac 'n' cheese for 15 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and top with the toasted panko and then the bacon.
- Serve hot.