Apple Cheddar Bread Pudding Recipe
- 14 slc hard white sandwich bread - (abt 1 lb)
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter - (1 stick) softened
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
- 3 lb Fuji apples - (abt 6)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 c. water
- 4 ounce coarsely-grated extra-sharp Cheddar - (1 c
- 4 lrg Large eggs
- 2 3/4 c. lowfat milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread bread slices thinly on 1 side with 1/2 stick butter.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/4 c. granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sprinkle proportionately over buttered sides of bread.
- Arrange bread, buttered-sides up, on baking sheets and toast in batches in middle of oven till just golden brown, about 15 min.
- Cold cinnamon toast on racks and quarter each slice into triangles, reserving 24 triangles.
- Peel, quarter, and core apples.
- Cut apples lengthwise into thin slices and in a bowl toss with lemon juice.
- In a large heavy skillet heat remaining 1/2 stick butter with brown sugar over moderately-high heat, stirring, and add in apples and water.
- Cook mix, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 10 min.
- Remove lid and cook apples till just tender and most liquid is evaporated, about 5 min more.
- Butter a 9-c. oval gratin dish or possibly a 13- by 9- by 2-inch shallow baking dish (about 3 qts).
- Arrange 1 layer of cinnamon toasts in dish, breaking triangles to fit.
- Spoon half of apple mix proportionately over toasts and sprinkle proportionately with 1/2 c. Cheddar.
- Top with another layer of cinnamon toasts and remaining apple mix.
- Arrange reserved cinnamon toast, sugared-sides up, overlapping slightly, in a ring around edge of dish.
- In a bowl whisk together Large eggs, remaining 1/2 c. granulated sugar, lowfat milk, and salt and pour slowly and proportionately over apples.
- Refrigeratepudding, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to degrees.
- Bake pudding in middle of oven 30 min.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. cheddar proportionately over top and bake pudding 15 min more.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.