- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 serrano chile, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon untoasted sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together yogurt, apple, ginger, chile and salt.
- Warm oil in a very small skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Let seeds sizzle and pop, then stir in garlic and let sizzle without browning.
- Carefully pour hot contents of skillet into yogurt and stir together.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve at cool room temperature.
- (May be prepared up to several hours in advance.)