1995 4th Place: Friendship Cookies Recipe
- 21/4 c. Unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. Vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1 x Egg
- 1/4 c. Pure maple syrup
- 1/4 c. Sorghum molasses
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Grnd ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Grnd cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Additional sugar for coating
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Have ungreased baking sheet(s) ready.
- Combine all ingredients, except sugar for coating, in large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on low speed till combined.
- Chill to hard dough slightly, about 20 min.
- Roll into large balls, using 1/4 c. dough each for large cookies or possibly a scant Tbsp.
- for smaller cookies (dough will be soft).
- Roll in additional sugar to coat.
- Arrange on baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart.
- Bake till set, about 15 min for large cookies and 10 min for smaller ones.
- Cold on baking sheet 1 minute before transferring to wire rack to cold.
- Fourth-place winner in the 1995 Chicago Tribune Holiday Cookie
- Contest: by Agnes Da Costa of Countryside