- 1 cup cracked wheat berries or seven-grain cereal
- 4 cups water (or according to package instructions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios or walnuts or a mixture of the two
- 4 to 8 teaspoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, low-fat milk, or soymilk
- Place the cracked wheat, water, and salt in the slow cooker insert.
- (If you are using something other than wheat you have cracked yourself, use the liquid instructions on the package as your guide.)
- Cover and cook on low overnight, about 8 hours.
- In the morning, stir the cinnamon into the wheat, then spoon the cereal into individual bowls and top each portion with 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of feta cheese, 1 tablespoon of pistachios, and 1 or 2 teaspoons of flaxseed.
- Pour half-and-half over the top and enjoy!
- I would opt for a cup of freshly brewed black tea, especially one that has fragrant hints of smoke, such as Scottish breakfast tea.