Aioli (Garlic Mayonnaise)
- 2 cloves garlic (or to taste), peeled
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Mash the garlic to a smooth paste in a mortar with a pinch of salt; set aside 1/3 of the paste.
- To the rest of the garlic add 1/2 teaspoon room-temperature water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the egg yolk, stirring well.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil, a few drops at a time.
- As the mixture begins to thicken, begin adding the oil in a slow, steady stream.
- If the aioli becomes too thick, thin it with a bit of water, and continue.
- After all the oil has been mixed in, taste for salt and garlic, and adjust accordingly.
- Serve with salmon and vegetables.