Arroz Con Pollo
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut in pieces
- 1 12 teaspoons salt
- 14 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 18 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Drain tomatoes and reserve juice (add water to make 1 cup juice).
- In a large frying pan or dutch oven, heat oil to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and saute in batches until well browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- To pan, add onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring a minute or so.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1 cup of the reserved juice, the stock, bay leaf, pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Break up tomatoes and stir well.
- Put in chicken pieces and push into the rice to cover.
- Simmer at a very low temperature until chicken is tender and rice as absorbed all the liquid, about a hour.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.