Almond, Pear and Cherry Pocket Pies
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 2 (7-ounce) sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 to 3 Bartlett pears
- 1/2 cup blanched and sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Lightly flour your work surface.
- Unfold 1 puff pastry sheet at a time and roll each into a 10 by 15-inch rectangle.
- Using a ruler, cut each into 2 (5 by 15-inch) rectangles, then cut each rectangle into 5 (5 by 3-inch) rectangles.
- Transfer the 20 rectangles on to the baking sheet and chill in the fridge until cold.
- Peel, halve and core the pears, and then cut them into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Toss them with the almonds, cherries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice and almond extract.
- Remove the rectangles from the fridge, place 5 of them on a new baking sheet and evenly spoon half the fruit mixture onto them, leaving a little bit of a border all around.
- Beat the egg and lightly brush the borders.
- Lay 5 more rectangles of dough over the filling.
- Use a fork to press them gently sealed.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Cut 3 vents, about 1/2-inch long, in the top of each pie.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake, rotating once, until the crust is golden and you see the juices bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the pies on a cooling rack at least 20 minutes before serving.