20 Minute Penne Carbonara for Two
- 2 ounces bacon 2 slices, chopped, or pancetta if you have it
- 4 ounces pasta, penne dry, whole-wheat or regular
- 1 large eggs beaten
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or half and half for a lighter version
- 2 tablespoons pecorino cheese grated, or parmesan
- 1 x black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Cook the bacon until crispy (or pancetta until transparent), drain on paper toweling and set aside.
- If using pancetta don't drain the fat (there won't be as much and it's packed with flavor).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta is salted water until al dente or to your preference.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Reduce heat to as low as you can.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, cream and cheese.
- Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon to the pasta, stir and add the egg mixture while stirring constantly.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Keep the pasta moving in pot so that the eggs do not scramble.
- Be careful, super low heat is the key and cook just until thickened.
- Serve immediately.
- You may wish to reserve a small amount of bacon in the previous step for garnish along with a grinding or two of black pepper.
- There is no need to add salt, the bacon and cheese is sufficient seasoning.