Apricot Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water or apple juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- In a bowl, combine the dried apricots with the 1/2 cup water or apple juice and soak overnight.
- Place the butter, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, and the apricots in the slow cooker and cook on high until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Stir to coat the apricots.
- Spread the coated apricots evenly over the bottom of the cooker.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, remaining 1 cup brown sugar, and the egg until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat in the molasses and the 1/2 cup warm water.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and ginger and mix well.
- Gently pour the batter over the apricots and spread evenly.
- Cook on high for about 2 1/2 hours, or until a knife or skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Halfway through the cooking, using pot holders, carefully lift the insert out of the slow cooker and turn it around to ensure even cooking.
- To unmold the cake, place a large plate over the cooker insert.
- Tightly gripping them together with pot holders, invert the insert over the plate.
- The cake should slip out easily.
- Scoop into bowls and serve immediately.