Apricots Baked With Rum
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus butter for baking dish
- 12 ripe fresh apricots, halved and pitted
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/2 pint vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Lightly butter a baking dish large enough to hold the apricots in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the baking dish with a tablespoon of the sugar.
- Arrange the apricots, cut side up, in a single layer in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and half the rum.
- Dot with the three tablespoons of butter.
- Bake 20 minutes, remove them from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining rum.
- Set aside to cool 15 minutes.
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each of six chilled plates.
- Arrange four apricot halves on each plate and spoon any of the syrup in the baking dish over the ice cream.
- Serve at once.