Apple & Celery Salad With Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 celery stalks plus leaves
- 1 large apple
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Put the shallot in a medium bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- (Allowing the shallot to sit for a short time in vinegar pickles it slightly while also mellowing the flavor, removing the oniony bite.)
- Cut the celery into very thin slices, using a mandoline if you have one.
- Set the apple on a cutting board and cut as close to the core as possible, slicing a large segment off the side.
- Rotate and cut off another side, as close to the core as possible.
- Continue cutting in this fashion until you have 4 big pieces and a square-shaped core.
- Dispose of the core and place the flat side of each apple piece against the cutting board.
- Cut into thin slices.
- Then turn that stack of sliced apple on its side and cut into matchsticks.
- Add the olive oil, mustard and honey to the bowl with the shallots and stir to combine.
- When everything is well incorporated, add the celery, apple and dill.
- Fold all of the ingredients together, coating evenly with the vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the top and serve immediately.