Apple-Sage Glazed Grilled Whole Turkey with Grilled Apples
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for brushing on the turkey
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped, plus 2 peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole (20 pound) turkey
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan on the grates of the grill or on a burner.
- Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the serrano chile and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and cook until the sugar has melted.
- Stir in the chopped apples and cook until the apples are soft and the mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Place the apple mixture in a food processor and add the sage.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Have a large drip pan filled with a little water positioned under where the turkey will be placed on the grill.
- Brush the entire turkey with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the turkey on all sides until golden brown.
- Reduce the heat of the grill to medium to maintain a constant temperature of 350 degrees F. Cook turkey until a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 170 to 175 degrees F. Begin brushing the entire turkey with the apple glaze during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from the grill and brush with more of the glaze.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Grill the sliced apples for 2 to 3 minutes on each side and serve with the turkey.