Almost Pasta Primavera
- 3 1/2 pounds spaghetti squash medium sized
- 1 cup broccoli florets fresh flowerets
- 1 cup zucchini small, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms fresh, sliced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3/4 teaspoons butter or reduced calorie margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk, skim
- 1/2 cups ricotta cheese partly skimmed
- 1 tablespoon parmesan, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoons liquid butter flavoring
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons italian herbs
- 18 teaspoons black pepper coarsely ground, fresh
- Wash squash; cut in half lengthwise and discard seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, in a Dutch oven; add 2 inches water.
- Bring water to a boil, cover and cook 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Drain squash and cool.
- Using a fork remove spaghetti-like strands.
- Measure 3 cups of strands; set aside.
- Remove remaining strands for other use.
- Steam vegetables 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well.
- Combine squash strands and vegetables, tossing gently.
- Cover to keep warm; set aside.
- Saute garlic in margarine in a small saucepan; remove from heat.
- Add milk, cheese, buter flavoring, and seasonings to saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot (do not boil).
- Spoon cheese mixture over vegetable mixture, tossing gently.
- Food Exchanges per serving: 1 food exchange + some free vegetables, 1/2 high-fat meat + 1/2 fat exchanges....
- Yields 6 servings (about 77 calories, 4 1/2 grams protein, 2 1/2 grams fat, 10.3 grams carbohydrate, 7 milligrams cholesterol, 171 milligrams sodium, and 331 milligrams potassium per serving).