"Toni's Marinated Olives"
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 5 flat anchovy fillets
- 2 cups drained brine-cured black olives such as Kalamata and/or Nicoise
- 2 cups drained brine-cured green olives such as picholine
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb (sometimes called anise)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Chop tarragon and thyme and mince anchovies.
- In a deep bowl stir together all ingredients except vinegar.
- Marinate olive mixture, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally, at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.
- Bring olive mixture to room temperature before proceeding.
- To serve olives, transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and drizzle with vinegar to taste.