Apple-Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 3/4 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla gelato or ice cream
- Toast aniseed in small skillet over medium heat until slightly darker in color, about 3 minutes.
- Place seeds in processor.
- Add next 5 ingredients; blend 5 seconds.
- Add butter; blend, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Drizzle egg over and stir until ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; stir to blend.
- Add apples and lemon juice; toss to blend.
- Transfer filling to 11x7x2- inch glass baking dish (or other shallow 2-quart baking dish).
- Crumble topping finely over filling.
- Bake dessert until apples are tender, juices bubble thickly, and topping is crisp and golden, about 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Serve crisp warm with gelato.
- *Sold at some supermarkets and at natural foods stores and Italian markets.