Apple Cider Brined Chicken
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons pepper, divided
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 medium-size whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons salt, 2 tablespoons pepper, 4 cups water, vinegar, and apple juice in a 2 gallon container.
- Add the chicken and allow to marinate for 30 minutes up to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon pepper to the flour, mix well, and hold until ready to fry.
- In a cast iron skillet, add the oil and bring to 350 degrees F over high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, pat dry with a paper towel, and dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour, coating well and tapping off any excess.
- Once all the chicken is floured, add to the oil, in batches, and cook until golden brown on both sides, 8 to 9 minutes per side.
- The internal temperature must be 165 degrees to be cooked thoroughly.